GDPR the Essential Workshop!
The GDPR is here and it affects pretty much everyone who runs any kind of business, including those who operate solely online. That’s a pretty sweeping statement and, unless you prepare to comply, you may find that YOU end up swept away too. #TeamBrick will be helping to make it as easy as possible but you should still make sure that you understand at least the basics. And here they are….
- GDPR stands for General Data Protection Regulation
- It will become UK law in May 2018 (25th May to be exact).
- It affects any business that collects and stores personal information about its customers when selling goods and services to them; this represents the vast majority of traders.
- Personal information can include all sorts of different things, from simple names and addresses to more sensitive data like bank details.
- The law will apply to anyone from any country in the world who is selling goods and services to EU citizens.
- When obtaining data from customers, all traders must use plain language to do so; no jargon or legalese will be permitted.
- Subsequently withdrawing consent to store and use personal data must be just as simple a process as giving consent in the first place.
- Any data breach must be notified to customers within 72 hours of that breach.
- Customers must have the right to easily obtain verbal or printed information, without any financial or other charge being made, about what data is stored and how it is used.
- Data protection in general will be of higher importance and measures to keep data safe will be required from the very onset of designing a data storage and retrieval system. All appropriate technical and infrastructural safeguards must be put in place.
- Failing to comply with the GDPR will subject offending companies to the payment of a fine up to €20 million or 4% of total global turnover.
As can easily be gleaned from even this extremely short and simple set of facts, the introduction of the GDPR is serious business but that certainly doesn’t mean it has to be difficult business. Here at Brick, we know exactly what to do to make sure your business is fully compliant in time for May 2018 so that you won’t have to worry about a thing.
If you like the sound of that, contact Bobbi on 01254 277190 or email email@example.com to book your place at our GDPR workshop on Thursday 1st March at 2pm! And don’t forget, your data is safe with us!